Enjoy the free public space at Cardiff Castle
Cardiff Castle is not currently open as a tourist attraction; however, visitors to the city centre are welcome to enjoy the open air space of the Castle green, free of charge.
We're very glad that the city is beginning to reopen and, if you're planning a trip in to Cardiff and would like a lovely spot to relax after hitting the shops, then please come and use the tables and chairs in the beautiful setting of the Castle’s outer green.
Please remember to be considerate of other visitors, maintain the appropriate social distancing and use the hand sanitising facilities available at every opportunity.
We would kindly ask anybody to refrain from visiting if you have had any symptoms of illness (cough, sniffles, sore throat or fever), or have had contact with anybody who has been tested for COVID-19, in the last 14 days.
NEW AND EXCLUSIVE - Lone Stag Bar at Cardiff Castle
We have teamed up with our local gift shop partner, Sloane Home, to bring you one of their most popular product lines!
The award winning business will now serve their drinks collection, including Lone Stag Gin & Vodka infusions, from an outside bar next to the Café.
Find Out More!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the opening hours?
- The Castle’s outer green is now open daily as a public space from 10:00 – 18:00
Will there be facilities open?
- Yes, there will be open toilet facilities with hand washing and hand sanitiser available.
Can I still sign up for, or renew a Castle Key?
- Yes, you can still sign-up for a new Castle Key or renew an existing one at the ticket office. Because we had to close during lockdown, we’re even adding an extra 3 months to the lifespan of all new Key cards and renewals until March 2023.
Will food & drink be available?
- Yes, the Castle cafe will be serving both hot and cold drinks, as well as some light refreshments to be consumed in the outdoor seating area.
Are pets allowed in?
- Although pets are not usually allowed, this restriction has been temporarily lifted while the Castle is open as a public space.
Are bikes allowed in?
- Although we don’t usually allow bikes in to the grounds, this restriction has been temporarily lifted while the Castle is open as a public space.
Is the Castle open to visitors again?
- The Castle’s outer green is open, free of charge, visitors are welcome to come in and relax on the lawn or use the socially distanced tables and chairs. The Castle’s interiors are not currently open to the public, nor are we able to offer any guided tours or audio guides. Areas that are closed include the Castle Apartments, Norman Keep and Firing Line Museum.
When will the Castle interiors be open again?
- We have no date for reopening the Castle as a visitor attraction at the moment, we will continue to follow Government advice and guidance and look forward to welcoming visitors when it is safe and responsible to do so.